Блогчетање

Данилово блогче

Sat, 12 Mar 2005

Marc: most of the problems with release notes translation are my fault. I didn't have much time to work on xml2po lately, and then I recently fixed one bug in it, and unknowingly broke behaviour for some uncommon constructs which appear in release notes.

So, I went on and on with bug-fixing (instead of simply reverting to previous state—my goal was then not to break existing translations, but then there were many other fixes, so I should have done that right away instead).

However, though I agree there were problems with release notes translation, I disagree on what they were. First of all, we need xml2po to be tested and stable, and that's going to happen only when we go through enough of our existing documentation with it: some of the things that many complained about are really trivial to fix, and are only related to the docbook mode of xml2po (which tries to make it a lot easier for translators to do their job).

Next, this is our first attempt at release notes translation, so I didn't want to change directory layout to be suitable for gnome-doc-utils.make rules, which are already tested and working very well. Not to mention that gnome-doc-utils.make is using a switch to xml2po (-e) which would have hidden the bug in xml2po that release notes exposed, so if we had it, we would have not seen any problems using any of the recent gnome-doc-utils tarballs (0.1.*), so there would be no need for CVS HEAD.

Finally, we want our documentation to show in status pages as well: I need to add support to intltool-update for gnome-doc-utils-style docs, because that's currently the simplest way to get it.

As for your problems, there's always an updated release-notes.pot file in CVS, which you can msgmerge with if you're having problems working with xml2po: but this would also be solved with release notes showing up in translation status pages.

I certainly hope you'll help us make the process smoother for the next set of release notes, instead of not translating them at all :)

PS. This was the notice about Dutch, Serbian, Italian and Norwegian translations being "dropped".

[23:52] | [/gnome] | # | G | | TB
Contact
Danilo Segan

This is blog (web log) of Danilo Šegan (or Данило Шеган).

Archives
2013-Dec
2011-Nov
2011-Oct
2011-Aug
2011-Jul
2011-Jun
2011-May
2010-Oct
2010-Aug
2010-Jul
2010-Apr
2010-Mar
2010-Feb
2010-Jan
2009-Dec
2009-Oct
2009-Aug
2009-Jun
2008-Oct
2008-Aug
2008-Jul
2008-Jun
2008-May
2008-Apr
2008-Mar
2008-Feb
2007-Dec
2007-Oct
2007-Aug
2007-Jul
2007-May
2007-Apr
2007-Feb
2007-Jan
2006-Nov
2006-Oct
2006-Aug
2006-Jul
2006-Apr
2006-Mar
2006-Feb
2006-Jan
2005-Sep
2005-Jun
2005-May
2005-Apr
2005-Mar
2005-Feb
2004-Dec
2004-Nov
2004-Oct
2004-Sep
2004-Aug
2004-Jul
2004-May
2004-Apr
2004-Mar
2004-Feb
2004-Jan
2003-Dec
2003-Nov
2003-Oct
2003-Sep
1983-Mar

< March 2005 >
MoTuWeThFrSaSu
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031   
Categories

Links
Kvota.net
Prevod.org
My study page
Srpski.org
GNOME
Friends' Blogs
alex (en)
bc (en)
Bojan Živanović (sr)
Carlos (en)
Goran (sr)
imp (sr)
lilit (sr)
Oskuro (en)
Zombie (sr/en)
Feeds
RSS